Straight Outta Campaign From Brands to Celebs, Meme Takes Over the Web
This week, social media timelines were filled with “Straight Outta” posts, created by the Straight Outta Somewhere generator. The campaign was launched in support of the highly anticipated movie, Straight Outta Compton, based on the story of the pioneering hip-hop group, N.W.A.
The campaign lets fans represent where they’re from with an easy to use content generator, customized by adding a photo and the city they’re from, and then download the image to share on their social media channels. Consumers quickly flooded the website to create their personal image, generating over 160,732 posts using #StraightOutta.
As a way to promote the upcoming biographical movie about N.W.A., called “Straight Outta Compton,” R/GA-owned advertising firm Hustle created a template that lets users replace the California city with a city of their choosing and a background picture.
From there, the picture can be easily uploaded to Facebook or Twitter creating an infectious viral meme that slyly serves as a promotional tool. The meme has also infiltrated Instagram, but the sharing process is less seamless since they have to take a screenshot then upload it to the photo-sharing app.
The template, which mimics a Snapchat sponsored filter, is also adorned with a Beats by Dre logo as Dr. Dre is a producer on the film releasing Friday. While it works both on mobile and desktop, emojis sadly aren’t compatible.
Since its inception last week, the #StraightOutta hashtag exploded with 7,000 tweets over the weekend. It blew up on Instagram, with 141,000 total pictures with the hashtag with most of them using the template.
Some used the meme seriously while others made it into a joke. Let’s review who used it, starting with celebrities:
The generator was a huge success. Here are five reasons why the social media campaign worked so well to engage consumers:
- Hometown pride. Consumers are always proud to represent where they’re from. The “Straight Outta” generator gave consumers a chance to shout out their home city or state, in a cool and relevant way.
- Humor factor. While many people used the generator to show hometown pride, some took advantage to take a more humorous approach, poking fun at celebrities and public figures, recently making headlines.
- Memes work. Memes are fun, easy to create and have a strong likelihood of being shared by consumers. This campaign leveraged that trend and offered consumers an opportunity to create memes in solidarity, or even competition with one another.
- Celebrity engagement. With consumers seeing their favorite celebrities joining in, it didn’t take long for fans to get on board with the campaign.
- Consumer anticipation. An important reason why the “Straight Outta” campaign worked so well, is because this is one of the most anticipated movie releases of the year.
This campaign is a perfect example of when going viral, goes right. “Straight Outta” took over timelines for the entire week and weekend. Some posts were even picked up by media outlets. Most importantly, this was a genius promotional campaign, to continue to build excitement and energy around the film a week prior to its release. Straight Outta Compton premieres August 14th.
About Straight Outta Compton
Straight Outta Compton is an upcoming 2015 American biographical drama film directed by F. Gary Gray. The film revolves around the rise and fall of the Compton, California hip hop group N.W.A. The film’s title is borrowed from the title of N.W.A’s 1988 debut studio album. Straight Outta Compton is set for theatrical release on August 14, 2015.
The film chronicles the background history of the group N.W.A, its members and the dynamics of their relationships with each other, from the band’s inception, to growing success and stardom until the eventual disbanding.